About our Online Summer English Courses for Teenagers
Age group: 12-17 years
Available Dates: 05/07/2021 – 30/07/2021
Duration: 1, 2, 3 or 4 week options
Each summer, the DLTC English Language School (Ireland) offers Summer English Courses for Teenagers who want to learn English in Ireland. This summer again, because of concerns about international travel, we’re providing our alternative online summer English courses. Our usual high-quality courses .. online!
The courses are available to foreign teenagers from anywhere in the world .. who want to improve their English and explore Ireland virtually .. its culture, places, music, people and sport.
As a family-run business, DLTC understands the difficulties families are experiencing right now so we are offering students and parents our high quality course at special low prices:
- Parents will get a great-value product and the knowledge that their children are safe and learning;
- Students will get to advance their English; ‘meet’ other teenagers from around Europe; and learn more about Ireland with our highly-qualified and excellent teachers.
The course is aimed at students from around the world between the ages of 12-17 years who wish to learn or improve their English and find out more about Ireland.
- English Classes (Monday-Friday – 9 hours classes and coursework per week)
- Secured virtual classrooms with live and interactive video streamed classes with DLTC teachers;
- English classes appropriate to your level of English;
- Small Classes of up to 8 students per class;
- focus on developing students’ fluency and speaking ability;
- provides them with a range of fun and interesting class activities based around the topics of Ireland and of youth interest;
- pre-course online level test;
- post-course report and recommendations for further study;
This course takes place online in secured virtual classrooms. The classes are presented and taught ‘live’ by DLTC teachers who are based in Dun Laoghaire (Dublin), Ireland.
The virtual classrooms have all of the correct security facilities enabled:
- students are placed in individual waiting rooms until the class is ready to start
- the teacher verifies the identity of each student and admits them one-by-one
- classrooms are username and password protected
- all class materials are sent by email by the teacher before the class starts so that nothing can be shared in the classroom
- nobody except for the teacher has access to the room control features by default
- direct contact number (for parents)
- feedback form each week to check satisfaction with class
- private weekly feedback sessions available with teacher in which students can ask questions, raise problems and receive feedback
- personalized online level test before arrival
- individual online speaking assessment with teacher before being assigned to class
- personalised reports and suggestions for further study at the end of courses
Course Content, Features and Schedule
We provide the following to our online summer junior English course students:
- 9 hours of course per week:
- 7.5 contact hours of General English per week (Monday-Friday)
- 1.5 hours project work each week which is completed offline by students and corrected offline by teachers.
- Experienced, native-speaking English teachers (qualified to Irish Department of Education standards)
- 4 levels of English classes from Elementary (A2) to Advanced (C1) – classes are 45 minutes each between 09:00-10:40 or 11:00-12:40 each weekday Monday-Friday – the set of times for any student will be according to the student’s level of English. Please note all times for our online summer course are Central European Summer Time (so, for example, 9am on the course is 8am in Ireland)
- Online assessment test before arrival and personal online oral assessment in advance of course
- Special focus on getting students ‘speaking’ and using the language successfully by focusing on topics relevant to the student
- Students will get to work in pairs or small groups in ‘break-out’ rooms which are controlled by the teacher. This will allow them to work with their peers, to use their English and to get to know other students from all around Europe – a great way to make new friends!
- Average class sizes of 6 students per class (Maximum 8)
- Use of all course materials and modern, interactive, online classroom technology
- Weekly assessment via project work with 1-1 feedback sessions if needed.
- A short piece of homework or ‘offline’ work most days (a course project) – which is corrected with notes by teacher outside of class time and presented by students at the end of the week.
- End-of-course Certificate, suggestions for further study, progress report and Statement of Results
|09:00-09:45||Introductions, Team building activities, Introduction to Speaking topics of the week|
|09:55-10:40||Language building incl. vocabulary, grammar|
|11:00-11:45||Language building incl. vocabulary, grammar|
|11:55-12:40||Language topic, speaking activities|
|09:00-09:45||Language building incl. vocabulary, grammar|
|09:55-10:40||Focus on speaking topics of the week: Ireland, food, music, local festivals, environment, tourism, economy|
|10:40-11:10||Offline project work to be completed and submitted offline by students; and corrected by teacher offline|
|11:00-11:45||Language building incl. vocabulary, grammar|
|11:55-12:40||Focus on speaking topics of the week: food, music, local festivals, environment, tourism, economy|
|12:40-13:10||Offline project work to be completed and submitted offline by students; and corrected by teacher offline|
|09:55-10:40||Speaking presentations from students.|
|11:55-12:40||Speaking presentations from students.|
Online Summer English Course Platform
Our summer English courses for teenagers in 2020 will take place ‘live’ online from Ireland with one of our teachers via Zoom the popular online webinar and conferencing platform.
Please note that we are aware of the security problems relating to Zoom that have appeared in the media and we can reassure you that we are following the recommended procedures to ensure that our classes are private and secure. Please see section below on Student Safety
The platform has the following features:
- Video & audio presence of all students and the teacher in the class
- Interactive Whiteboard controlled by the teacher that can be shared for input from students
- Chat feature among students and teacher which is controlled by teacher
- Breakout rooms – so teacher can divide students into pairs and smaller groups for different kinds of activities
- It’s free to students! With no registration required!
- Any desktop/laptop computer; or IOS or Android device (i.e. smartphone); or tablet
- Any web browser (Chrome, Safari, Edge, etc)
- Headset or mic and speakers
- Broadband internet or wireless (3G/4G) connection
- Link to meeting with username and password (supplied by teacher in advance)
- parental consent – for under-18s
- no class materials are required as they are supplied in advance of class by teacher by email
- Install ‘Zoom Cloud Meetings’ on your phone, tablet or pc to access meeting:
- under 18s: parents should login for their children.
- Access the meeting through the link provided by the teacher via email notification – there is also Meeting ID and password provided. You will be put in the waiting room and, once your teacher verifies you, you will be admitted to the class.
- Before class starts teacher will email students with necessary materials for the class.
INSTALLATION NOTES: On your first time using Zoom, you may have to click OK a few times to accept Zoom T&Cs, to test your setup and to install some assisting sofware – we can arrange a pre-meeting before your first class to make sure that you are setup correctly and that you wont waste any of your time in your first class
There has been discussion in the media about security issues related to Zoom classes. DLTC follows and regularly updates Zoom class administration according to the latest security advice. Accordingly:
- classroom links are only sent to members of the class
- usernames and passwords are set on classrooms
- ‘attendees’ are admitted only to a private waiting room at first until the teacher verifies their identity and admits them to the classroom
- file shares within chat and screen shares option are disabled by default – and the teacher sends all materials by email in advance of class start
- DLTC continues to monitor security update announcements from Zoom
Dates and Prices
DLTC Online Summer Junior English Course is available for periods of between 1 – 4 weeks between
- Monday 05/07/2021 and Friday 30/07/2021
- Please note all times for our online summer course are Central European Summer Time (so, for example, 9am on the course is 8am in Ireland)
1 weeks (9 hours)
2 weeks (18 hours)
4 weeks (36 hours)
How to Book our Online Summer English Courses for Teenagers
Individuals & Small Groups
- Send us an email to email@example.com and we will send you a booking form by email.
- We will also arrange your online level test and a speaking assessment.
- Once you are happy with your assessment and the times of classes offered, complete the booking form and send it back to us to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will confirm within 48 hours and send you an invoice with bank details.
- Full course fee should be paid by bank transfer within 5 working days to reserve place.
- 2 week before, we will send you details for connecting to your class.
Groups of 10+ Students
The DLTC welcomes groups from schools, private academies, travel organisations, and individual organisers. Send us an email to email@example.com with your details (name, type of organisation, address, telephone number) and your requirements (dates, size of group, preferences etc). We will contact you directly to provide the best possible quote based on your needs.